Saturday, March 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!


I don't remember the date but it was a weekday morning in January 1973 when I first saw her. About 30 days after returning from my mission, Les Jones and I entered the MCC library and there she was- sitting at a table with Carla Olsen. She was beautiful! Her smile, quick and bright, immediately grabbed my attention and has never let go. I learned later that both Sharla and Carla were at that very moment filling out their BYU applications for the fall semester. Of course, she never went.

Les did all the talking that morning, mostly with Carla, but I learned her name and I knew instantly that I would get to know her. Again, I don't remember exactly when or even where I saw her again, but I know it was either later that same day or possibly the next. I made sure to seek her out.

She was as quiet as she was pretty. Being rather reserved myself, I remember struggling to keep the conversations going. It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to me, it was more like she was a reserved, careful and private person. It was as though I had to earn my way into her life by a steady and constant effort to meet her, talk to her and help her get to know me.

All of our early encounters were at MCC. I quickly learned where her classes were and I boldly waited outside those classrooms hoping to walk her to her next class. It wasn't long before I offered to drive her home from school and she consented.

Our first date was dinner and a movie. Other memorable events in our courtship include a trip by car with another couple to April Conference (including getting into the Tabernacle for a Sunday session), trips to the Ranch (including work projects), lots of firesides, a few dances (including an invitation from her to a Sadie Hawkins dance) and many quiet moments on the Temple grounds sitting on the Petrified log.

In July, we became engaged on the log at the Temple and we married in October. The rest is history- six children, a son-in-law, two daughters-in-law and six terrific granchildren (more are anticipated- in-laws and granchildren, not children). It is my daily pleasure to sit and watch as Sharla loves each of us unconditionally and helps us be the best that we can be. Where would we be without her? I don't even want to think about it. Though, it hasn't all been perfect- most of it has been.

Sharla is such a wonderful person! She is kind and thoughtful of everyone, especially of me and all other family members. Her dedication to the Gospel of Jesus Christ can be seen in her every minute of every day. She is the joy of my life and a great example of how each of us should live our lives. I thank Heavenly Father every day that I will be with her forever.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

With love to everyone in the family, Dad

2 comments:

amy said...

We are so grateful for our mom and grandma! For her example, willingness to help, and love! Happy birthday mom!

Allison&Brinton said...

We love u mom! happy birthday!